The Center of Tourism Applied Research (CiTUR) was founded in 2008 (recognized by FCT in 2014) and is a research unit of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria, located at the School of Tourism and Technology of the Sea in Peniche.
CiTUR’s mission is to develop applied research, create and transfer scientific knowledge in the field of tourism, permanent training and the provision of tourism services and related areas:
- Promotion, coordination and implementation of scientific research projects involving researchers, fellows, collaborators and students of 2nd and 3rd cycles;
- Dissemination of scientific knowledge at national and international level, through the publication of scientific papers in refereed journals, the presentation of communications at scientific meetings and other means considered appropriate;
- National and international cooperation and exchange with other research units;
- Implementation of studies and projects guided towards the needs of the academic, business and institutional community;
- Promotion of postgraduate studies in the field of tourism and related areas, networked with national and foreign institutions.
CiTUR has integrated members, collaborators and guests, 45 of which hold a PhD degree.
CITUR is organized as follows:
- The coordinator;
- The coordinating committee;
- The scientific council, composed of all the integrated members.
- The external scientific advisory committee, composed of individuals of recognized merit.
The current management of CiTUR is the responsibility of the Coordinator who, together with two appointed members, forms the Coordinating Committee, which monitors the operation of the research unit and deliberates on matters related to its management:
CiTUR has the following autonomous activities:
- Scientific journal: European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation (EJTHR). degruyter.com
- International Congress: International Tourism Congress (ITC). itc.ipleiria.pt
- Research Cluster on Surfing and Sustainability of Coastal Areas (NIS). nis.ipleiria.pt
- Research, Innovation and Training on Hospitality Management (RHYTHM). rhythm.ipleiria.pt
- Research Cluster on Tourism Destinations (NID). nid.ipleiria.pt
It is the responsibility of CITUR’s Coordinators to manage its autonomous activities: